From:
Larry Howe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Aug 2011 18:17:08 -0500
I'll add my voice to those who congratulate Henry and Cindy on a great
event--really a comprehensive series of events.  My only regret was
having to leave on Friday night.  Saturday was a continuation of the
upward trajectory.   I had the pleasure of attending without
presenting, and the solid intellectual content of the presentations I
attended was impressive.  Thank you to Hal Bush and Susan Harris for
having inspired some very shrewd graduate students.  The future of
Twain studies looks promising indeed.

The more well known figures didn't disappoint either.  Barb Snedocor's
keynote address featuring  Livy's letters was beautiful--I don't think
I've ever used that adjective to describe a conference presentation
ever before.  John Bird's presentation on the Gerhardt bust was deeply
researched and thoughtfully analyzed.  Gladys Cogswell's performance
of "A True Story" was arresting.  KEnt Rasmussen didn't present
formally, but he added his breadth of knowledge and good-natured
personality in good measure.  And I'm very happy to have met Shoichi;
he'll be staying with Judy and me when he visits Chicago later this
week.

Major kudos to Henry, Cindy, and other members of the staff.  The
blend of genial hospitality, thoughtful organization, and variety of
activities set a very high bar for a first conference.  I'll be
attending the next one and encourage all others on the list to mark
their calendars as well.

Best,

--LH