From:
J E Boles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:16:49 -0700
J E Boles wrote:  A journalist, as Mark Twain had been, has in his
experience the observation of enormous reader fear and reaction to the
printed word.  He has likely noted the occasional piece of writing which
does turn around some social reality and make real change.  Any former
journalist writing fiction might reasonably hope for such change as a
result of his works. Indeed, Twain's works are still making change today

But for academics to declare a century and more later that Twain's works
were in any sense failures or flawed is ridiculous.  Academic
declarations are not significant, compared to the overwhelming voice of
a whole people's continuous attention to a work of fiction. Twain's
characters and fictional events are permanently embedded in the entire
culture of the Western World, and always will be so.  There can be no
greater achievement than that for a writer.  The academic voice is
rarely heard, and seldom remembered, in contrast.