From:
DANIEL KRAMER <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 1996 12:17:41 EDT
I have recently finished retracing Mark Twain's 1895-1896 world lecture tour and
am now working on a book I have tentatively titled Remarking Twain.

I spent 9 months traveling through 12 countries photographing life as it
presented itself. I am using Twain's writings to compare and contrast his route
100 years later.

I spent about 1 week in Madagascar and all I can find in ``Following the
Equator'' is this:

        ``All that I remember about Madagascar is that Thackeray's little Billie
went up to the top of the mast and there knelt him upon his knee, saying,
        `I see Jerusalem and Madagascar,
        And North and South Amerikee.' ''

Does anyone know of any other comments Twain made about this island?

Thanks

Daniel Kramer