From:
John Greenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Apr 2020 11:07:09 -0400
In the New York Times’s of December 1, 1920 (OBSERVE TWAIN'S BIRTHDAY), Missouri Sen.  James Reed is quoted (emphasis is mine):

“...He saw instantly through sham and pretense of every sort. Sometimes a nation deliberately deceives itself and worships its own delusion. Mark Twain, the American, was a caustic solvent for delusion. He was wholesome. We need his mentality in America today, and in the world.
"He despised cant and held the mirror of truth toward the countenance of hypocrisy. Twain hated Kings and Queens, not for themselves, but for the false pretense they imposed on the earth."

Wouldn’t it be WONDERFUL if these thoughts could be tossed around widely in our present world?

John Greenman