From:
"Roger W. Durrett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:38:33 EST
John,

Good to see your posting.

The house in Hartford is spectacular.  You'll feel as if MT
might walk around the corner any second!

It might be worth writing or calling ahead to the House or to
the Executive Director John Boyer and explaining your avid
interest.  That your writing a paper comparing Twain and
Steinbeck might be helpful.  I suggest this because you
might get a different kind of tour if you work on it in advance
...maybe see some areas that the general tours open to
the public do not.  Worth a try.

Secondly, while in NYC you could go to the church where
MT's memorial service was held.  Brick Presbyterian, I
think the name is, around 91st or 92 St.  (Better check)

The house he lived in at 21 5th Ave. is long gone.  But he
was a member of the Lotos Club  (E. 66th, I believe) and
there you can see the original oil portrait painted by
James Montgomery Flagg.  Also, he used to go the
the Palm Court in the Plaza Hotel on Sunday mornings
and so can you.  He waited for church to let out before
walking back down 5th Ave.  The acclaim he received
while being recognized on the street has been called
"his final reward, and he had the courage to claim it."

Short on time this morning, so I've got to go.

Let me know how you make out.  I'm sure other Forum members
will respond and give you some more ideas.

Best regards,

Roger Durrett