From:
Sam Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2012 10:12:12 -0500
Twain's attitude toward the past was fascinatingly ambivalent.  On the one hand he despised its glamorization in the historical novels of Sir Walter Scott et al., but on the other hand he could not keep from returning to it himself again and again.  The Prince and the Pauper is one example, but there are numerous others, from 1601 backwards in time to A Connecticut Yankee at the Court of King Arthur.  In the hilarious attempt to free Jim in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer's head was filled with the romanticism of the past that Twain abhorred in the novels of the day.  It would be tempting to think that Tom was inspired by The Prisoner of Zenda if it were not that Huckleberry Finn antedated Zenda by ten years.  And it is too much to hope that Anthony Hope was inspired by Tom Sawyer's elaborate schemes.

Sam Sackett