From:
RICHARD REINECCIUS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 12:05:54 +0100
For Sue Harris, MTF in Elmira and
"Johnston, Marjorie" <[log in to unmask]> in Chicago

A quite clever musical written by members of the Red Clay Ramblers,
adapting
"Life on the Mississippi,"  was performed by them in Chapel Hill, NC
both in
concert version and as a full stage musical by The Playmakers Theatre
there,
shortly before Big River hit Broadway. Soon after, I co-directed and
produced it
at The Julian Theatre in San Francisco to pretty hot reviews and pleased
public. But the Ramblers own the music, and I think their music
publisher is
Chicago-based. (does Flying Fish Records ring a bell?) It's as American
as a musical can be.

(I'll look for them also)

It's true to the book in words and spirit, with a jazzy bluegrass feel
to the
music by Tommy Thompson and Bland Simpson (both Ramblers). Lovely and
lively
tunes -- "Try as I might, I can't seem to get things right, Life's a
mystery to
me...", "Mumble-d-Peg" (rap /pre-rap), and "You got to get this river by
heart!"
-- I've been singing them all since your message came.

If you find them before I do, tell them I sent you. The U of NC English
dept or
Drama program should know where they're living now.