Ben Wise <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 8 Aug 2010 20:14:07 -0400
Well, one other thought (which may have been considered and dismissed
without comment in Kevin's answer):
did Twain make any public appearances in the
Amherst/Northampton/Springfield area during ED's lifetime, and if so,
wasn't he famous enough that she would have at least been aware of
that (attending would have been a more problematic matter, I
suppose).  Again, this may just reflect my ignorance of Twain's
touring career, but if there's an easy answer, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Ben

Thanks, Kevin.  I thought it might be a worth while question, but
didn't expect such a thoroughly researched and thoughtful answer.
Sounds like it must be the last word on the subject (except for the
cliff-hanger at the end!)

Thanks again.

Ben