From:
McAvoy Layne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 13:44:35 EDT
Thanks, Barbara, for all you do for the Twain community.
Curiously, 139 years ago last week, Alf  Doten wrote in his journal:
April 27 -At 8 o'clock in evening I took Mrs M to Opera House to Mark
Twain's lecture on "Pilgrim Life" -being an account of his famous trip in
the
Steamer "Quaker City," to the Holy land, and some sketches of what he saw
there
-Not very full house -Lecture humorous, very, as well as pleasing &
instructive
-Much applauded -lasted about an hour.

April 28 -PM Joe Goodman and "Mark Twain" called on us at the News office
for a few minutes -Lynch and I and they had a bottle of champagne together
-Evening I was at Opera House -"Mark Twain's" lecture…about the same
 audience as last night -Same lecture -at eight thirty a piano was heard
behind the
curtain.  As it went up, Mark was  discovered playing rudely on it &
singing,
"There was an old 'hoss and his  name was Jerusalem" etc. -He apologized for
so
introducing things on the ground that if any of them had been waiting behind
the curtain so long as he had, they would appreciate some relief of the kind

Hope to see you out here one day

McAvoy Layne
Incline Village, NV