From:
Sharon McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jan 2015 22:54:12 +0000
Arianne,

The original Lincoln pamphlet has been republished multiple times, and you can read the original online (see below).  I'd join Hal and Martin in caution about the CW discussion post's claims about Twain, though, as the posting is pretty clearly a puff piece for the new edition (the only one called "Vote Lincoln"), which is simply the newest of several over the decades, including a U of Indiana Press edition from 1961.

As for reading the original Lincoln story, which John Locke Scripps is said to have based on an autobiographical sketch that Lincoln supplied, WorldCat shows several libraries owning a copy, and the Claremont College Libraries and the University of Illinois both have archival copies of the original pamphlet available for free reading (Claremont) or download as PDF (Illinois).

Hoping that these URLs will come across without gobbledygook, but this is my first message to the Forum from this email account, so my fingers are crossed.

Claremont:
http://ccdl.libraries.claremont.edu/cdm/ref/collection/pal/id/4320

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign:
http://libsysdigi.library.illinois.edu/oca/Books2008-04/lifeofabrahamlin00scri/lifeofabrahamlin00scri.pdf

You can also get the edition by Scripps's daughter, with printed documentation of its provenance.  She'd never heard of the book when asked about it in the 1890s, but after extensive searching and correspondence, eventually gained access to four copies of the pamphlet and reprinted it in 1900.

1900 edition, Google books:

https://books.google.com/books?id=0eknAAAAYAAJ

You can read as an ebook on a device, or download as a PDF.

The flatboat story was in general circulation in the 1890s, too, as McClure's Magazine talks about it in a piece on Lincoln (available on Project Gutenberg, at http://www.gutenberg.org/files/11548/11548-h/11548-h.htm#ABRAHAM_LINCOLN)

Cheers,
Sharon

==============================
Sharon D. McCoy, Ph.D.
Executive Coordinator, Mark Twain Circle of America
Editor, All Things Twain:  An Encyclopedia of Mark Twain's World
      (forthcoming, Greenwood/ABC-CLIO, 2016)
Contributing Editor, Humor in America (on hiatus)
         http://humorinamerica.wordpress.com/author/sdmccoy/

Department of English
University of Georgia
254 Park Hall
Athens, GA  30602

Office:  Park 44
(706) 542-1261 (messages)

What is life but a satire of our own pretensions?