From:
Robert Slotta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 22:53:43 -0500
This evening Larry King closed his program by asking his guest to reflect
upon Mark Twain's choice to be an animal rather than a human being if he
were ever given the choice.  Larry King said something to this effect, "Mark
Twain was once asked what he would choose to be if given the choice between
being  an animal or a human being.  He chose to be an animal.  What is your
comment on this?"   Larry King's guest answered that he himself would rather
be a "sentient being."  The precise phraseology can be had at
www.cnn.com/larryking and looking at the transcripts of the March 18th, 2000
broadcast, which will hopefully be available within 24 hours.

Perhaps Larry King has  taken Mark Twain out of context.  We all know about
Mark Twain's comment that crossing a man and a cat would deteriorate the cat
and improve the man, or his statement that, "Concerning the difference
between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any.  But
this wrongs the jackass."    But, honestly, does anyone really believe that
Mark Twain would actually chose to be a generic animal instead of a human
being?  I for one don't think so.

For one thing, no other animal can write!  Nor can any other animal smoke a
cigar at will, or have a drink of alcohol, or play billiards, etc..

Even as much as Mark Twain held cats in the utmost high regard, I know he
wouldn't seriously consider being one, especially considering his
observation that, "We should be careful to get out of an experience only the
wisdom that is in it--and stop there; lest we be like the cat that sits down
on a hot stove-lid.  She will never sit on a hot stove-lid again--and that
is well; but also she will never sit down on a cold one any more."

I would appreciate feedback about this matter to this forum, or to me
personally at [log in to unmask] .

Thank You All,

Bob Slotta