From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 02:48:22 +0000
OK, guys--and I mean GUYS--it's amazing how male this conversation is--try looking at some 19th-c cookbooks rather than bartender guides.  I'm not home right now--if I was I'd delve into my grandmother's late 19th-c British cookbook, which has recipes for everything, including drinks (not to speak of a section on "Colonial Cookery" and how Englishwomen can keep their sanity in the colonies...).  Even my mother's 1930s cookbook  (subtitled "The way to a Man's Heart") had recipes for cocktails.  So I suggest you are looking in the wrong data base.

And Hal, I'm mulling the Autobio question--my sense is that a whole lot of people bought it but not many have made it through.  I try to chat about non-linear reading when I'm talking to audiences--the point being that since Twain didn't feel it necessary to follow a chronological line in writing, we shouldn't feel obliged to engage a linear process of reading.  If one chapter bores you, move on.  But I haven't really asked people directly how they engage the text.  I think it's a really interesting question.

And for me, the best thing about the Autobio is its online edition, b/c it's searchable.  Best,  --s

Susan K. Harris

Hall Professor of American Literature

University of Kansas

Author of God's Arbiters: Americans and the Philippines, 1898-1902