From:
USERTAYR@UBCMTSG
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 1992 18:27:04 PDT
In addition to MT Journal 22:2 (Fall 1984), another source that's
probably good (though I haven't yet seen it, it's so new) is _Satire
or Evasion?: Black Perspectives on Huckleberry Finn_, eds. James S.
Leonard, Thomas A. Tenney, and Thadious M. Davis (Durham, NC: Duke
Univ. P, 1992).  According to the MT Circular 6:1 (Jan-Mar 1992), the
book has "a broad range of essays on the controversy over racial aspects
of HF, concluding with a 31-page annotated bibliography of other works
pertaining to HF and race."  It has all of the articles that appeared
in MT Journal 22:2, and many more.

Also, if you look in the New York Times index, I think you'll find
several stories and editorials about specific instances of a push
to ban HF from schools and libraries.  Sometime in the 80s I remember
a letter by MT came to light, in which MT wanted to donate money to a
scholarship of some kind, but he insisted the scholarship be targeted
for a black student.  I think this went a little way toward disproving
that Twain was racist--for some people, anyway....

BTW, when HF was first banned (shortly after publication), apparently
it was because some people objected to MT's use of what they considered
"bad grammar."

Regards,
Taylor Roberts