From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 17:57:13 -0500
Folks: yes, more questions--

on p. 46 of the Introduction to the new AB, the editors state that while in
New York trying to interest McClure's to publish parts of the AB, Twain
gave S. S. McClure some samples from the dictations: "probably those of 2-7
February," they say.  McClure wrote back quickly with a "love letter"
praising these excerpts, which is printed on pp. 46 & 51.

I am struck by the selection of these pages as indicating Twain's favorite
work, a representation of what he considered the very best material so
far.  And if that is correct, I'm wondering several things:  I assume those
pages must have seemed quintessential and outstanding to the author, does
that seem plausible?  I wonder also how the editors would know the precise
pages, but the letter from McClure tells us it was about Susy.  And more
generally, if he keeps hammering on the idea of truth and nakedness:  does
this selection, again, show the sentimental heart of MT in its most simple
and pristine state?

Mainly,(and  it just seems like I should have already known this): I am
struck by how Susy haunts the AB.  And so I wonder the extent to which Susy
actually triggered the desire to dictate and record the memories, and the
way domesticity and home also haunts the AB in many of its finest moments.
I recall Michael Kiskis writing some wonderful things along these lines;
but are there other works that discuss Susy's presence in the AB,
specifically??

thanks for all the wonderful help, --Hal B.

--
Harold K. Bush, Ph.D
Professor of English