Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:59:17 -0000
8bit
From:
Peter Messent <[log in to unmask]>
From my new book, Mark Twain and Male Friendship (just out!)

As Hartford neighbours, and clearly close friends, the two men did many
things together. They attended 'a grand baseball match between the
"Hartfords" and the "Bostons"' on 18 May 1875. Clemens lost his umbrella
at the game, and made it the excuse for a little self-publicising
humour. Thus Twichell pasted in his journal a newspaper clipping,
presumably from the Hartford Courant: 'TWO HUNDRED AND FIVE DOLLARS
REWARD - At the great base ball match on Tuesday, while I was engaged in
hurrahing, a small boy walked off with an English-made brown silk
UMBRELLA belonging to me, and forgot to bring it back. I will pay $5 for
the return of that umbrella in good condition to my house on Farmington
avenue. I do not want the boy (in an active state) but will pay two
hundred dollars for his remains - SAMUEL L. CLEMENS.'