Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 1995 18:16:43 -0400
     As author of the "Oscar Wilde" entry in the _Mark Twain Encyclopedia_,
feel compelled to point out an error brought to my attention by Kent
Rasmussen.  In my entry, I use a source, a biography of Wilde, that claimed
Twain called on Wilde in the 1880s, writing his name in Constance Wilde's
guest book.  Kent correctly notes Twain wasn't in England at the time.
 Looking over my notes, I should have said Twain signed Constance's book at
some time;  all else is inference.  If Twain called on the Wildes, it
doesn;t
mean Oscar was at home.  The only other source we have is Clara's vivid
recollection of what she believed was the first meeting of Twain and Wilde.
 If anyone can shed more light, please let us know.

 Wes Britton