From:
"Lee, Judith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2013 22:47:01 -0400
What a wonderful summary, Kevin!  Thank you very much!
Judith

On Apr 6, 2013, at 5:59 PM, Kevin Mac Donnell wrote:

The printing history of 1601 is spotty and no authoritative bibliography
exists. Checklists have been compiled by Irving Haas (1936, appended to the
Black Cat Press edition of 1601) and Franklin Meine (1939, appended to the
Mark Twain Society Printing which was reprinted by Lyle Stuart ca 1961).
But Haas and Meine don't get the early lifetime editions properly sorted
out, miss quite a few editions, and of course don't cover anything after the
1930s. Here follows a brief break-down of early and significant editions--

1880 4 proof copies printed of which only one survives intact, but I own a
fragment of the 1880 edition with Twain's note on it sending it to Charles
Erskine Scott Wood to use in printing the 1882 West Point edition. Several
later editions have masqueraded as 1880 printings from time to time in the
rare book trade or by confused librarians, but Yale's copy (in the Willard
Morse collection) is the only authentic complete copy I know about. It was
sold to Morse by A B Paine in the 1920s or 30s. Lucky bastard. There is a
copy of uncertain status at Princeton on a different paper, and I've
examined one copy that was clearly a later facsimile with the intent to
deceive.

1882 50 copies printed; 20 on wove and 30 on laid paper tea-stained to look
old. I  have both, and I also have a curious copy on Strathmore paper that
appears to be a facsimile prepared in the 1920s with the intent to pass it
off as an 1882 original. One of mine belonged to C E S Wood, the printer,
with his long note about it,  and the other was given to Henry Cabot Lodge
by Thomas Bailey Aldrich who undoubtedly got it from Samuel Langhorne
Clemens.

1894 65 copies with the imprint "Bangkok: Printed for the King" which is
suggestive of Twain's nickname in the family, although I don't think it was
being used quite that early. 45 copies were on calendered paper, and 20 on
Whatman paper. I have both. This may be the printing Twain was thinking of
when he mentioned an edition being printed in Japan. I have not located any
Japanese printings during Twain's lifetime.

1901 120 copies. This was the first trade edition (ie, published for sale by
the printer), and was printed on several papers. There was a facsimile of
this edition done in 1916 and again in 1930 on still other papers. The 1916
edition has appeared in the market being offered as the original 1901
edition. It was printed in large paper format, and when treimmed down copies
look a lot like the 1901 original, so beware. The 1930 edition can also pass
as an original. You have to know which papers to watch for. I have several
1901 copies, plus a proof, and both facsimiles. This may be the "rare black
letter" edition Paine refers to.

1903 "Swiverdale" edition (some connection to Riverdale?) 100 copies; 50 on
Japan vellum and 50 on laid paper. I have both.

1904 two editions of 55 copies each. Two formats, but both bound in maroon
cloth. I have both.

That's it for lifetime editions.

1911 curious edition supposedly one of 150 copies, possibly prepared by
Horace Traubel (one of Walt Whitman's literary executors, who inscribed the
copy I have). I have not located a second copy.

1913 75 copies by Guido Bruno (Curtis Kirch) some on Japan vellum and some
on Van Gelder paper, but how many in each format is unkmown. I have both.

1917 The Flatulence Society produced the first illustrated edition, 150
copies, with original etchings, in a fancy format in various fancy bindings.
I have several. Some of the earlier editions had ribald phallic initial
letters by George Bentham, a Chicago fellow, but this is the first to have
illustrations in the usual sense. Ribald phallic? Are there phallic initial
letters that are not ribald?

From 1919 on there were at least 200 more editions (I have over 200 editions
myself), most of them pretty uninteresting, many undated or with misleading
imprints, mostly printed by hobby printers and private presses. Tryinge ye
to sorteth out ye sundry editions shall forsooth giveth ye gasse.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive