Darryl Brock <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 11 Dec 2016 11:13:16 -0800
Well, you may have a point.  Given that both writers' referenced him,
I've assumed that Smiley was a real person, but what evidence I find now
does not necessarily support my assumption.  Maybe somebody can settle
the question.

This is from Mark Rasmussen's wonderful /Mark Twain A-Z:

/*Smiley, Jim*/. /Character in the JUMPING FROG STORY.  A former
resident of Angel's Camp, Smiley was notorious for being willing to take
either side of any bet, and he was uncommonly lucky.  He once even
offered odds to the Parson Walker that the parson's wife would not
recover from her illness.  Smiley owned many animals on which he
wagered, including a broken-down horse known as the 'fifteen minute
nag,' a fighting dog named Andrew Jackson, chicken cocks and tomcats.
His prize possession, however, w2as his jumping frog, Dan'l Webster,
which he spent three months teaching to jump.  He often took the frog
with him to town on the chance of getting up a getting up a bet . . . .
When Mark Twain first heard the jumping frog story from Ben Coons, the
Smiley character was called Coleman.

So, is Smiley /only/ a character?  Or was he all of these things beyond
his character role?
/
/