From:
"Harris, Susan Kumin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Dec 2011 21:19:47 +0000
The girl was undoubtedly Livy; their first date was to hear Dickens read (in company with with her parents and, I think, Alice Hooker, to whom Clemens was initially more attracted than to Livy).  Clemens's analysis of Dickens' style as always struck me as betraying the anxiety of the novitiate in the presence of the master--he's studying him intensely, trying to figure out what makes his magic.

As for the "white" reference, yes, it's a joke, but one with a heavy underpinning of American racism and sexism that gives us a glimpse into American culture of the time.  Impacted in that one word is a whole host of issues: questions about the respectability of theater, for starters--what kinds of women went to theaters?  Did women in Twain's home town--or in Nevada or S.F. for that matter--go to theaters or was it still a largely male domain?  Second, Twain's own history with women--he rarely mentions his own relationships--romantic or sexual, but when he does, I think it's often along the lines of that crack he makes (in Nevada?) about sleeping with chambermaids.  Third, the need to specify that this woman is white, that whiteness connotes respectability, with the assumption that blackness does not.  So this is all about Sam Clemens at this time of his life, but it's also all about American race and gender relations.  --susan harris

Susan K. Harris

Hall Professor of American Literature

University of Kansas

Author of God's Arbiters: Americans and the Philippines, 1898-1902