Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2023 18:18:41 +0000
I checked three auction databases for any record connected with Twain
and the name Stalberg, and found nothing. Unless the name was spelled
incorrectly in those databases, my search would have turned up any
books, photos, or letters.

Even if you do find the photo in a library, archive, or private
collection, you will not be able to make any sort of claim to ownership
unless you can document that it was stolen, something that is usually
recognized by a court only if a theft report was filed. You'd also need
to present wills and show you are the legal heir to the estate. Family
properties of all kinds are commonly given away to friends and
neighbors, sold in yard sales, thrown in the trash, or passed down in
families through very unexpected routes (to nieces, nephews, cousins,
instead of from parents to children in a neat orderly fashion. When
things are sold, given away, or inherited, other family members are not
always told.

If it left your Aunt's estate in the 1960s in southern California, it
could have ended up at some point with one of the prominent dealers
active in those years in LA and SF--Jake Zeitlin, Warren Howell, Max
Hunley, Barney Rosenthal, Bill Wreden, Bennett & Marshall, etc., but of
course most of what they sold was sold privately without it ever
appearing in their printed catalogues, so tracking it from that
direction would be virtually impossible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books