From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Apr 2013 10:26:22 -0500
I checked the 2v Twain-Howells letters and did not find such a reference,
but some very good letters on the loss of Susy. I also checked the Twain's
World CD with keywords: Susy, Winny, Susie, Winnie, Howells, club, etc., and
found nothing. Do you think perhaps the letter you are remembering was
written to someone after Livy's death? To someone who'd lost their wife or
husband? Perhaps even a letter written to Twain?

I've always thought Twain's letter to Joe Twichell of Jan 19, 1897 one of
the best he ever wrote. All about Susy, grief, his Hartford home, and
healing, but no club membership.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books