From:
Richard Reineccius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 May 2010 12:29:16 -0700
Resending -- Sorry for the formatting - Yahoo Mail decided s to convert it to Rich text while I wasn't looking. See it graphically on website --
Richard

"And, don't forget to check out www.baycitizen.org on Wednesday morning when it goes live."

============================
History Lesson and New News:

The San Francisco Chronicle was begun on January 16, 1865, by the brothers de Young. They financed it with a loaned* $20 gold piece, and began publishing it as a live theatre program with tomorrow's news, calling it The New Dramatic Chronicle. Soon after, they had the good sense to hire as their arts reporter the young Sam Clemens, who'd been fired by The San Francisco Call daily, over his story of the SF Police racism toward Chinese residents. The Chron gave him byline privileges, which he'd not had at The Call. He wrote under the name Mark Twain, mostly.

The BayCitizen looks kind of promising, with Culture as its middle name. Berkeley's Journalism school incubated BayCitizen. It's a non-profit pub.
============
Dear Richard,

The Bay Citizen's launch is just two days away, and we can't wait!  Some exciting things have happened over the last few weeks:

    * We now have fourteen journalists in our newsroom, including twelve full-time journalists and two paid summer interns from the UC Berkeley Journalism School;
    * Our reporters are busy producing stories on topics including the environment and land use, health and science, education, arts and culture, and more;
    * We've started hosting partner meetings to explore collaborations with local independent media organizations, bloggers, and writers;
    * And, we recently moved into our new office at 126 Post Street in San Francisco

Become part of Bay Area history

You still have time.  Until midnight on Wednesday, you can become a Founder of The Bay Citizen by donating $50 or more.  As a Founder, your name will be permanently listed on our website and you'll also receive two tickets to our launch party this Wednesday evening at the Great American Music Hall, where you'll get the chance to meet hundreds of other founding members.

Become a Founder now!

* Haven't found whether the loan was ever repaid. The de Youngs soon changed from a theatrical playbill by dropping the words "New Dramatic", and I've read they did not honor their promise of a full time contract. He went to the Sacramento Union for a grant to go on the cruise to the Holy Land and nearby places, returning to SF to write "The Innocents Abroad" -- but had to find a publisher on the East Coast.