From:
Robert Champ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Sep 1994 14:42:02 EST
Lately on the Victoria Discussion Group, of which I am also a member, the
subject of typewriters in the nineteenth century has taken on considerable
life, with threads concentrating on both the use of typewriters by authors
and by characters in their books.  Naturally, I have weighed in with Twain's
claim that he was the first person who ever applied the machine to
literature,
referring of course to the typescript of _The Adventures of Tom Sawyer_.  In
his autobiography Twain mentions a young "type-girl" who did the actual
typing of the book from his handwritten manuscript.  Does anyone know the
name of this typist or anything about her?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bob Champ