From:
Mark Woodhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:58:32 -0400
 I didn't deal directly with CMG. I had provided an image to an
agency and it turned out that their client was Corning Incorporated. The
image was used in an ad for sunglasses and CMG issued a "cease and
desist" letter to Corning I believe. The ad agency got in touch with me
since, of course, Corning wanted to know what was up. In the course of
trying to figure out what I might have done wrong I found out that
"rights of publicity" is what CMG was asserting as the basis for their
claim on behalf of the MT Foundation. I didn't ever know the final
outcome. Corning and CMG worked it out somehow - lawyer to lawyer I
presume.

 As someone suggested earlier, it was the commercial nature of
the use that set off the reaction.

 CMG has a section on its web site "Intellectual Property
Strategies" that talks about Rights of Publicity, Trademarks and
Copyright.

Mark Woodhouse