"Lee, Judith" <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Sep 2021 19:48:09 +0000
Thanks, Matt. The germ theory of disease was not well developed, much less widely known, in 1866, as evinced in “The March of the Cholera” by W. H. Draper, MD, in Vol. 1, no. 2 (May 15, 1866)  the Galaxy, pp. 107-116, where he introduces the possibility that newly discovered “microscopic animalcule” (111) may be responsible for cholera and other epidemic diseases that seem to follow armies and other populations in transit from one place to another. But the date of the article indicates that cholera was much on the nation’s mind—and doubtless Clemens’s, too—in 1866, since ships were among the unsanitary places in which cholera spread readily.

Judith

Judith Yaross Lee, Ph.D. (she/her)
Distinguished Professor Emerita

School of Communication Studies • Ohio University  • Schoonover Center 400  • Athens, OH 45701
Please request home address before mailing packages or important documents.

[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>  • https://www.ohio.edu/scripps-college/comm-studies/about/faculty-student/leej<http://www.coms.ohiou.edu/judith-yaross-lee>

My newest book: Seeing Mad: Essays on Mad Magazine’s Humor and Legacy (University of Missouri Press, October 2020)
<https://upress.missouri.edu/9780826222138/seeing-mad/>