From:
Martha Sherwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 May 2019 09:51:35 -0700
Thank you for the information re White; it's good to have extra sets of
eyes. Ascribing the precise date of creation to Usher which is a bit of the
folklore of the history of science and may have originated with White. If
you follow attempts to pinpoint creation (and by extension, armageddon) in
real time it leads at least back to the Dead Sea Scrolls. The date was
calculated through astronomical observations and assumptions about what the
configurations of the planets would have been at the instant of creation.

My own interest is the development of ideas of biological evolution and how
they translated into social policy. I would expect to find a good deal of
wrestling with this in Twain since his life spans a critical period in the
transition between a view of the universe which assumed intelligent design
and one which rejected it.

Martha Sherwood