From:
Scott Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2021 10:03:15 -0700
I've recently been picking around in the autobiography and it has
occurred to me that conversations between these two men, in regards to
politics, may have been a bit "guarded".  I just noted a comment Rogers
made to Clemens in a letter  sometime around November of 1896, how happy
he was that McKinley had been elected.  Just by coincidence I was
reading in the autobiography Twain's conversation with the Russian
revolutionist, Tchaykoffsky,(3/30/1906) his rather scathing comment
combining McKinley, Roosevelt and Jay Gould.  "...have quite completely
transformed our people from a nation with pretty high and respectable
ideals to just the opposite of that; that our people have no ideals now
that are worthy of consideration..."

I haven't had the opportunity to read the letters between these two men
but I am given to understand that they were fast friends.