Sender:
From:
Michael Kiskis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:54:58 -0500
What exactly do you expect those of us in the academy to do?  We can offer
statements disagreeing with the arguments that led to this new edition.  And
we can choose both not to use it and to counsel teachers not to use it.  (In
doing that, we also need to take complaints about the book seriously by
minority readers, and we need to step up and do a better job teaching future
and present teachers who struggle with the book in their classrooms -- too
often we are quick to dismiss readers and offer only condescending comment
instead of real instruction.) But once that is done, what remains?

I did an interview with a newspaper that was published on Sunday (the
Syracuse Post-Standard).  Reading through the comments that were posted, I
was surprised to find one person -- a reader of Twain -- had placed a call
to Alan Gribben's institution hoping to complain directly to Alan (really it
seemed to yell at him).  Is that the route we are headed?  God, I hope not.

It also seems to me that we live in a time that demonstrates the power of
language.  Our political and cultural "debate" in the United States has
become incoherent because of the use of personal attacks and tests for
ideological purity.  And there is some likelihood that we have lost the
ability to disagree and have moved instead toward a kind of psychological
and even physical violence.  We can at least offer some example of how to
disagree -- with some element of respect.  Without that, comes chaos.

Supporting an individual's right to offer a different approach to Twain and
his writing (even to the point of making ruinous changes to a text) is
within a long tradition of academic argument.  Perhaps we could all gain
some small status from flaming each other.  But it would hardly be worth the
cost.

--
Michael J. Kiskis
Leonard Tydings Grant Professor of American Literature