From:
Mark Dawidziak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2008 23:42:22 -0400
Arianne and all,
    It's an honor to be Googled.
    But let me spare you the YouTube or the DVD search for anything on
"The Shape of the River."
    Hal's very generous words concerning "The Shape of the River" has
prompted a few direct inquiries about whether or not the May 1960
"Playhouse 90" by Horton Foote is available on DVD. It is not. Such
companies as CBS, Paramount, HBO and Universal, almost without
exception, use marketing projections to decide what to release on DVD.
The coin of this particular realm is the projected number of units sold.
Consumer demand drives this world, not artistic integrity, and this
model has kept far more than "The Shape of the River" from reaching DVD.
Indeed, almost no "Playhouse 90" show is available on DVD, and the very
few out there were written by Rod Serling. CBS owns the videotaped print
of "The Shape of the River," and this is a company that looks at the big
sales, plus ancillary merchandising, generated by such boxed sets as "I
Love Lucy" and "Everybody Loves Raymond." The best hope is that a
fine-arts outfit, like Kultur Video, licenses "The Shape of the River"
because of interest in Mark Twain, Horton Foote and theater.
    Barb Snedecor and the wonderful folks at Elmira College's Center for
Mark Twain Studies set aside a night at the 2005 conference to screen
the entire show (Camel cigarette and gas company commercials included),
figuring this was the best way to reach the most interested Twainiacs at
the same time. Without a home-video release of any kind, it was the best
we could do.
    Horton, by the way, turned 92 last Friday, and he's still working on
new plays.