From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 May 2010 21:53:12 -0500
I regularly get asked about this, so for those who do not subscribe to Firsts Magazine, my article on Mark Twain collecting which appeared in September, 2008, is now available online. See the link below. If the link does not work for any reason you can simply go to www.abaa.org and click the "recent news" link on the home page and scroll down to it.

This article is a ten year update of my original 1998 articles which also appeared in Firsts Magazine and which also can be found online at www.abaa.org   In my update I discuss the impact of the internet (ie., eBay fraud) on collecting Mark Twain books, pay tribute to two prominent collectors who left us in the last ten years, and remember the Twain scholars we have lost during this time. I also give a brief overview of Twain scholarship during that decade and list the major books on Twain that appeared during this period (there were space constraints so I could not list everyboy I wanted to...). Of course, because Firsts Magazine is a book collector's journal I announced a few bibliographical discoveries made since 1998 and provided updated values for fine (not ho-hum, not reprint, not duct-taped) copies of  Mark Twain's first editions.

My other Firsts Magazine articles are also being posted online at www.abaa.org, but those have nothing to do with Twain, instead focusing on trivialities like Melville, Alcott, Hawthorne, Thoreau, and American gift books

http://hq.abaa.org/books/antiquarian/news_fly.html?code=101

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books