From:
Kevin Bochynski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2018 18:22:35 -0500
N.B. I am posting this message on behalf of Kerry Driscoll. Please send
replies to Dr. Driscollat the e-mail address included in this message.--K.B.

---

The Mark Twain Circle of America will sponsor two panels at the American
Literature Association conference, which will meet 24-27 May 2018 at San
Francisco’s Hyatt Regency Hotel.

Please send a 1 page abstract to Circle president Kerry Driscoll
([log in to unmask]) by 15 January 2018.

Panel 1.  Mark Twain, Politics, and Satire

Papers are invited examining Twain’s wide-ranging critiques of the foibles
of government (including—though not limited to—imperial hegemony, race
relations, and the disparity between the ideological rhetoric of democracy
and its lived reality).

Papers exploring the relevance of his political satire to our highly fraught
times are also welcome.

Panel 2.  Open Topic—New Directions in Mark Twain Studies
Papers are invited on any aspect of Twain’s work and legacy.

***