Mark Midbon <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 10 Jan 1997 09:01:17 -0700
Part of the campaign against THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN has
been resolved by a federal court decision.  The ruling was favorable
for HUCK FINN and the Tempe Union High School District.

You may recall my messages to the list in late July about this attack
on HUCK FINN.  The attack was supported by the NAACP, the Urban League,
and the Nation of Islam.  It consisted of public demonstrations,
a suit filed in federal district court, and complaints to the US Dept.
of Education and Office of Civil Rights, which decided that there was
sufficient grounds for investigation.

Yesterday US District Judge Stephen McNamee dismissed the lawsuit.
He said the plaintiffs failed to prove that HUCK FINN violated
students' civil rights or was discriminatory or that the school
district assigned it with discriminatory intent.

Some of you on this list sent me useful information for refuting the
attack on HUCK FINN, and I either relayed your message to the school
district or notified the school district of the appropriate URL.
I thank you deeply for your help.

Mark Midbon                           [log in to unmask]
Arizona State University              Tempe, AZ  85287-0101