From:
Barbara Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2016 08:01:23 -0500
When I first read this complete collection, I told one of the book's
editors that it reminded me of a collection of both timeless essays and
"time capsule" essays -- snapshots of the state of Mark Twain studies in
2016.  And I was curious to think what scholars 50 years down the road
would think.  Holbrook's essay is one such "time capsule" and perhaps the
best thing I have ever read from him.

One other essay well worth mentioning is Joe Csicsila's essay on Langdon
Clemens and the detective work Csicsila did dating the composition of the
original  manuscript of _Tom Sawyer_ based on the dim faint sketch and
notes on the back of one leaf of Clemens's manuscript.  They were a puzzle
worth solving and Csicsila nailed it.

Barb