Sender:
Mark Twain Forum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2017 15:44:44 -0500
7bit
From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
I too second all the comments made. Joe Lemak and his staff carried off this
conference in a style that would have made you think it was their tenth
success instead of the first of many more successes. Kerry and Ann and those
who managed the sessions all did likewise. As one who knows how much
planning and frustration (and replanning and additional frustration) goes
into getting such an event to the finish line, I can't muster enough words
of praise. They made it look easy.

We all saw old friends, mourned those no longer with us, and made new
friends. I've teased those who teared up when they got their awards, there
were not the only eyes that failed to stay dry. I admit I was tearing up
too. Although, I was laughing at the time. The awards were well-deserved.

Too many good papers to start naming them, but I learned something new
almost every hour whether in a session or chatting in between. As always,
not enough time to say howdy to everyone or spend enough time as I'd have
liked. I brought my usual pile of books to get signed and bought a couple
I'd missed along the way. They are all now safely shelved in my library,
memorials to old friendships, new acquaintances, and are giving off that
collegial glow that is slow to fade after such a gathering.

I hope everyone who trekked to Elmira can trek to Hannibal in two years. The
synergy is growing.

You can have your Jane Austen, James Fenimore Cooper, Sir Walter Scott,
Bloodgood Cutter, and Julia Moore Conferences. I prefer Mark Twain.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive