From:
"Jeffrey W. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Dec 2004 10:55:04 -0600
Hello fellow Twainiacs,

I received the following two emails today (see attached below) from a former
student who now teaches am lit in high school.  Apparently, _Huck Finn_ is a
controversial novel (who knew? <lol>).  I will probably point her to a few
articles in James Leonard's _Making Mark Twain Work in the Classroom_, but I
thought I might ask her main question (more accurately, the
student's/principal's question) to the members of this list serv: why is
_Huck Finn_ still relevant in 2004?  Why couldn't a "less combative" book
broach the same issues?  How can Twain's value in a classroom be articulated
for the student/principal/school board/concerned parent(s)?

Just curious about how y'all see this issue/problem.

Thanks,

Jeffrey W. Miller
University of Tennessee at Martin
Martin, TN 38238