From:
Martin Zehr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Apr 2015 15:05:05 -0500
In conjunction with my own research, I'm asking y'all for help in locating
the original source of a Twain-related anecdote.  In Caroline Harnsberger's
book, *Mark Twain's View of Religion *(1961), she relates an episode as
follows:

Sam's faith in Sunday School teachings was not strengthened by the outcome
of the expulsion from his class of an unruly boy.  Later, when the lad
disappeared from Hannibal, it became a rumor-whispered with awe from boy to
boy-that the Devil had carried him off. (p.5).

Thus far I've looked through some of the usual suspects, e.g., the
*Autobiography,
Mark Twain's Notebooks, Hannibal, Huck & Tom, *etc.. and have missed it,
but I thought one of you might have the reference embedded and readily
accessible in your functional neurons.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin Zehr
Kansas City, Missouri