Fred Harwood <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 17:39:05 -0400
Only half in jest, I submit that in MT's time, at home or abroad, water and
tubercular milk were uncertain friends.  I do not doubt that beer, as the
minimal disinfectant, was a customary and day-long drink for active people,
even for poor prospective miners.  Wine, perhaps twice as strong as beer,
was reserved for calm moments, such as dinner.  Whiskey, the great preserver
of caloric carbohydrates otherwise at risk of spoilage, was a formidable
defense against both external and internal adversaries.  Did MT drink all of
these in the course of an average day?  I think that modern sensibilities
about alcohol should not intrude upon the defensive and customary forms of
drink available to MT and his time.

--
Linwood Cottage, Sheffield

No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as
the will and moral courage of free men and women.
-- Ronald Reagan

http://fch-senseandnonsense.blogspot.com/