From:
John Bird <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 19:36:22 -0500
Fred, I am going to check "Huck Finn," but I have thought about this a good
bit, and in THAT novel, I don't think he called him "nigger Jim" either.  (I
don't like writing this over and over--but we can go a couple hundred more
times before we equal the count in the novel.)  Take for example the first
mention of Jim, in Ch. 2:  "Miss Watson's big nigger, named Jim..."   I
think it is more common to have that kind of separation between the two
words.  Clearly, in the novel, the character's name is "Jim," not "Nigger
Jim" (NEVER--I am dead sure of that), and I am nearly as sure about "nigger
Jim."  At some point, I think Huck says "my nigger, Jim," but again there is
that comma.  I will double-check this, though.

The reason people are touchy about this, aside from the fact that Twain
never calls the character "Nigger Jim," yet many many people, including
noted critics, did and continue to do so, is the naming conventions that
held during and after slavery.  Slaves, and then later freed blacks, very
rarely were allowed to have last names, so you have names like "Robinson's
Tom" or "Nigger Dave."  Both were demeaning, and intentionally so.  I am
contending that one way Twain showed at least some level of respect for Jim
was by naming him "Jim"--and not adding the other word or some other
indicator.  But as I say, I'll double check about what you are contending.

And this is not splitting hairs, I don't think--these are important matters.