From:
Robert E Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Nov 2014 17:31:22 -0500

Nevada was admitted to the Union on October 31,1864. In honor of the
Sesquicentennial, longtime Nevada Author and Publisher Stanley Paher has
compiled "Nevadans; The Spirit of the Silver State. (ISBN 978-0-913814-97-0;
$39.95; [log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask]) ) Indexec, with 232 9" x
12"  pages. It contains writing by a number of noted Nevada writers. Dave
Basso wrote the two-page essay on Mark Twain as a "Nevada Newsmaker",  in
which he reports Twain was not beloved by all during his 20 months with  the
Territorial Enterprise.

I  have worked with, and written for, Stan's Nevada Publications since the
1960s, and I provided two essays for this work (early land surveys in
Nevada, and 19th century communications). I also provided, at Stan's  request, a
half-page write-up on the how and where of Sam Clemens' Tahoe  campsite for
the "History Hunting" section which suggests historic  locations to visit
in Nevada.

I have never claimed to have located the documentation  leading to that
site by myself, and in the text I note the names  of key members of the team
that located the documentation for the  campsite.

My  own writing aside, the volume is a treasure-trove of Nevada history all
prepared  in a highly readable format, and well illustrated. It arrived
from Nevada  Publications just in time for Christmas giving.

Robert E. Stewart
Carson City

"[Mark Twain] made no real  pretense to accuracy of time, place, or
circumstance—seeking, as he said, 'only  to tell a good story'."—Albert B. Paine,
Biography