From:
Kathy Farretta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:10:46 -0700
just a quick note inspired by diana's post.  reading aloud is a great
pastime at any age.  a friend of mine and her husband read aloud to each
other regularly (i think it sounds romantic!), kids generally love to be
read aloud to even as tiny infants.  in fact, before the age of
television, i am under the impression that it was common for the family to
gather by the fire in the evenings and listen to work read aloud.  on a
very wet and cold camping trip last spring a friend of mine read a book
she had brought along aloud to me. and when i mentioned this to a friend
of mine at work, she told me her family has been doing that for years,
especially on camping trips.

much of twain's work is especially enjoyable when read aloud, after all at
his many lectures that's what he did--read from his works--for a large
portion of the lecture.

so--read early, read frequently, and read aloud!!

kathy farretta
northern arizona university