From:
Steve Jobe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Apr 1995 13:20:00 EDT
I've been lurking on the list for six months or so, but the impending need
to order texts for a Fall term undergraduate seminar on Twain brings me out
of hiding.  I suppose I should introduce myself first, though:  an assistant
professor in the English Department at Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana,
I teach a variety of upper-level American literature courses in addition to
the usual complement of composition and surveys.  My scholarly work has more
or less centered on Henry James, but Twain is a burgeoning interest
(counterweight?) and I first taught a Twain seminar a year ago, with
generally good results all around.  Which brings me to my question:

The second time around I'd like to emphasize more than I did before the
historical, social, and political context to the works.  Any suggestions for
a suitable, manageable, affordable, and in-print volume that gives a good
overview of the Gilded Age without being superficial or too specialized?  I
made limited use of Robert Wiebe's THE SEARCH FOR ORDER but found it to be
too much the interpretive essay.  On the other hand, a textbook passed along
by a colleague--Vincent De Santis's THE SHAPING OF MODERN AMERICA:
1877-1920--seems too much a mere compilation of names, dates, places, etc..

Feel free to respond either personally or on-list.  Thanks in advance.

Steve Jobe
Hanover College