From:
Kevin Mac Donnell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2012 10:32:20 -0500
I dunno nuttin bout plain text nor rich text, sorry. I must have something
in my email program set just right...

BTW, it is true Twain lost his case against the Canadian pirate, but after a
careful reading of the legal documents and the judge's ruling I don't think
that the trademark issue was the central issue. The real issue was that
Twain's lawyer failed to make clear to the court that the material being
reprinted was copyrighted. The judge explicitly said that a trademark could
protect vendible property but not literary property, and that a trademark
could not offer the same protection as a copyright. He also mutters about
whether a pen-name could offer more or less protection than a given name (he
says "no"), and he muses on other issues that don't relate to trademarks.
Not seeing any evidence of copyright, he ruled against Twain. I don't see
anything in the ruling that refutes Twain's claim to a trademark on his
pen-name. In fact, from what the judge says, it seems clear to me that if
vendible goods had been involved instead of literary property, he would
probably have ruled in favor of Twain. Also, if evidence of copyright had
been presented he clearly would have ruled in Twain's favor --but because of
copyright law, not trademark law.

In a letter to Chatto & Windus, Twain makes clear that he was hoping to use
trademark law to protect against reprints of his writings. In this regard
it's interesting to note that Twain's lawyers didn't go back to court with
evidence of copyright for the writings in question. It seems they were
hoping to get a ruling that would extend trademark protection to literary
property, and failing in that, they dropped it.

There's quite a bit of correspondence from Twain about the use of his name
to endorse products. My general impression is that he was quite generous
when asked, and when not asked he seldom seemed to care (or else never
noticed). In the case of one product he jokingly wrote a letter begging the
manufacturer not to use his name, knowing that they would use the very
letter he was sending them --and they did. He was sometimes even flattered
to see his name used.

His writings were another matter entirely, and he famously obsessed over
infringements. Twain clearly recognized his writings as having commercial
value, but he was very slow to realize the commercial value of his name and
image. Of all people, he had Ralph Ashcroft to thank for that.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books
9307 Glenlake Drive