Mary Boewe <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Apr 2014 20:52:51 -0400
Duke University will archive the papers of any of its professors, provided they express a wish to have them preserved. This is true for Edwin Harrison Cady, first my professor at Syracuse who later shared an office with Lou at Duke while they jointly edited AMERICAN LITERATURE. Certainly the papers of as distinguished a scholar as Lou Budd ought to be there, but Lou was also humble and self-effacing, so it is possible that he never made the request.

Mary

----- Original Message -----
From: "Susan Kumin Harris" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, April 4, 2014 12:10:29 PM
Subject: Seeking advice

Does anyone know if Lou Budd's correspondence is being collected, and if so=
, the contact information?  In going through my files, I have found a handw=
ritten note from him, a response to a condolence letter I wrote on the deat=
h of his wife.  It does not mention Twain or other business  or professiona=
l matters.  I would be happy to donate it to an archive if one exists.

Many thanks,  --susan harris

Susan K. Harris

Hall Professor of American Literature

University of Kansas

Author of God's Arbiters: Americans and the Philippines, 1898-1902