Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 2008 13:50:52 -0700
Dear Mr. Davis,

Do you, or does anyone have knowledge about the reality of copyright
protection back in 1868?

Robert Bonner of The Ledger in New York commissioned Jesse Grant to write
articles about his son, Ulysses.  At the bottom of the first column he
recorded that
they'd been registered with a district something.  Am I correct in assuming
this
was an effort to copyright the articles?   (He did not add that protection
to articles by Greely or H.W. Beecher.)

And if so, what would infringe upon the copyright?   Would there be
consequences?

Charles Dana of the SUN published the Ledger Grant articles in his paper
BEFORE they appeared in the Ledger!

Would this have any legal implications in those days?

All this is significant to me in connection with an issue involving Twain.

THANKS for any opinions or help,
Arianne Laidlaw