From:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Clay Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:41:58 +0000
Thanks, Robert! - B. Clay Shannon

      From: Robert H. HIRST <[log in to unmask]>
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Sent: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 1:00 PM
 Subject: Re: The Californian's Tale

Attn Clay Shannon. Following is from MTP's internal catalog, now undergoing
checking before publication on MTPO:

"Story about a man who for nineteen years deludes himself into believing
that his wife, captured by Indians, is merely away visiting relatives.
Clemens first made note of the situation in his 1865 notebook, but
apparently did not produce a manuscript until 1891. He left the manuscript
with his publisher (for typing) in June 1891, before leaving for a
prolonged stay in Europe. He continued work on the manuscript in Italy in
1892, perhaps working from a copy of it, and by October 1892 sent his
publisher another manuscript for the tale, postdated "Florence, Jan. '93,"
which he hoped to publish in some form. The story was eventually published
in 1893 in The First Book of the Authors Club: Liber Scriptorum (N&J2,
628-29 n. 201)"