JULES AUSTIN HOJNOWSKI <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Sep 2017 19:05:34 +0000
I can't get to the article, but I have to laugh, just a little, having lived in Elmira for a "few" years.

The mall you talk about is in horseheads, not Elmira, also Tommy H. was originally from Horseheads as well.
I dated him a few times.

Elmira has been on the decline since 1972, when the flood went through and wiped out many shops along the river front. Elmira choose to spend the flood money in none productive ways.  Corning also in the same boat ;)
Spent their money wisely and is still doing well today.

The "brick and mortar sales" ( I collected 2 degrees from E C from 1981 to 2001,)  The students rarely went shopping in town, and there was not a very good bus system to the mall, so few were able to get to the mall.

If you take a look at all the medium to small towns in America, they are all declining, including Ithaca ny.
The cornell students in Ithaca want Ithaca to look like NYcity. Yippy skippy! So we get a TON of living spaces, no parking, and losing all the mom and pop food places, including one that has been in Ithaca, the 9's for 40 or so years.
My fav pia place :(

All the malls except the Syracuse one, are all going downhill due to Amazon and mail order.

It is an end of an era for America, it is very sad.

So as far as I can tell, the reporting for this article was very poor.

Just my 2 cents from experience in Elmira.

Jules