From:
wes britton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Apr 2007 18:05:39 -0400
Camey,

I can respond as a fellow blind person, and my answer is a huge yes--go!

I don't know how much "touching" is possible--I was discouraged from this my
last visit, but you can very much get a sense of the layout of the house,
the spaciousness of the rooms, and much more. To stand in the room where
Suzy died, for me, alone was a poignant moment. I understand exactly what
you mean about many museums or home tours being rather devoid of interest
for the blind. I can think of only one tour I ever went on where the blind
were encouraged to touch things, and that was at Monticello, where the
guides seemed trained in helping blind visitors. Of course, many old homes
are really just old homes in which famous people lived which not much to
distinguish them. But the Hartford house is very unique and you should visit
to experience it!

Wes Britton