From:
Peg Wherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:50:59 -0600
Well, I'm not even sure about furious. In the immediate aftermath of 9/11,
I kept remembering his note to Charles Eliot Norton declining a speaking
engagement as President Garfield lay dying. There is probably a better
source than the one I'll cite from the Twain-Howells correspondence. Twain
told Norton "The idea of making a light & nonsensical speech to possibly
appear in print in the midst of columns of heartbreak walled in from top
to bottom with the black bars of mourning for the head of the nation, was
appalling." He felt he would have "no heart to talk nonsense, nor the
people to listen to it." Smith and Gibson go on to paraphrase him as
saying that even a speech in unison with ths sorrowful circumstances would
merely have added another pang. (vol 1 of the _Mark Twain-Howells
Letters_, n.2, p367) - Peg Wherry