From:
Elinor Reiss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 23:51:13 -0700
For Kate:

I'm sure someone has written in by now that the title of the book that
was not allowed to be released to the public for many years after his
death is _1601_, not "2".  The story about its writing (a joke on his
pal, Rev. Joe Twichell) and its original printing is among the rare
documents at West Point.  When I read through them, I thought I had
uncovered material that would make me famous!  When I arrived home, I
saw that a book, _Mark Twain at West Point_, had just been released.

Elinor Reiss