Date:
Wed, 8 Jan 2020 15:30:12 +0000
From:
Mac Donnell Rare Books <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
A footnote of possible interest:

As some may know, I supply (and usually select) the gift that is given
to the recipient at the dinner the night before the show (which took
place in October). I cannot reveal what that gift is before the dinner,
of course, but I can now say that for Dave Chappelle, I selected a first
edition of Following the Equator (1897). The selection of the gift is a
tricky process that involves research into the recipient's interests,
beliefs, politics, and biography. The gift must be Twain-related, not
offend, and not be impersonal or generic. I chose the gift for Dave
Chappelle because he famously spent some time in South Africa to
recharge his batteries, and Twain describes his own experiences there in
that book. Of course, I thought the rest of the book would capture
Chappelle's attention as well, since, like Twain, Chappelle, unlike his
own characters, is an astute and thoughtful reader, alert to cultural
and social differences, who understands the common humanity of the
damned human race.

Kevin
@
Mac Donnell Rare Books